Lentils are high in protein and contain amino acids to help aid muscle growth and recovery; they also keep you full for longer.
Preparation time: 10 minutes | Cooking time: 35 minutes | Serves: 2 people
• 1/2 cup green lentils
• 6 eggs
• 3 tbsp milk (non-dairy milk options include oat milk or rice milk)
• 1 red onion, diced
• 1 garlic clove, chopped finely
• 1/4 cup pitted, chopped kalamata olives
• 1/4 cup chopped yellow capsicum
• 1/4 cup chopped mushrooms
• 1/4 cup baby spinach leaves
• 1 tomato diced
• 3 tbsp of mixed fresh herbs such as oregano, parsley and chives
• 2 tbsp olive oil
Method:Preheat the over to 190 degrees. Cover the lentils three times over with water in a large frying pan. Bring to the boil, then reduce to simmer, uncovered, and allow simmering for 25 minutes. Rinse and set aside. Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs and milk until combined, then stir in the herbs, and set aside. Over a medium heat, fry the onions and garlic in the olive oil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, and stir in the olives, capsicum, mushrooms, spinach, tomato, lentils, and then the egg mixture. Place in the oven to cook for 25 minutes, or until set. (Recipe supplied by: Renee Brown, Naturopath BHSc (Nat)).