You might also like
Friends With Benefits
If there was a way to double your success in the gym, would you do it? For those who are struggling with motivation, a training buddy will keep you accountable, motivated, on track with your goals and provide you with some healthy competition. Here are our top five benefits of working out with a friend:
- Motivation - For most of us, it's the lack of motivation and variation of training that stops us from reaching our health and fitness goals. Having the right training buddy will boost your commitment to your fitness goals, as well as your confidence in achieving them.
- Working out becomes fun - You can do a serious workout, without being serious. The more fun your workouts are, the more you’re going to look forward to it and be committed to them over the long-term.
- Accountability - If you don't show up to training, you will be letting someone down. You’re far less likely to ditch the session and chances are you’ll be glad that you made the effort.
- Support and encouragement - Encouragement from your training buddy will help push you to your limits and assist you on that last rep. Also, because you are likely to know your partner well, you know the support is genuine.
- Success of goals - By keeping you accountable, motivated and supported, you will actually increase your chances of reaching and smashing your health and fitness goals sooner rather than later.
Now the big question, how do you find the right training buddy?
- Consider your fitness level and the level of your future buddy - Remember that you don't want to let the other person down and in return you don't want to be let down. Your levels must be on par to get the most out of your workouts.
- Partner with someone who has similar goals - Your training buddy must be motivated and determined to reach their set goals, just like you. The last thing you want is a buddy that always finds excuses, has a negative attitude and never shows up to your scheduled sessions. By having similar goals, you will ensure the focus is not divided and the training plans work for both parties.
A great way to train with a buddy and get the most out of your workout is a superset program. This allows you both to perform an exercise at the same time and then switch exercises when reps are completed. This workout would suit all types of trainers from beginner to advanced. Little rest is required between sets in this workout, to keep the intensity level high. Most importantly have fun and motivate each other to keep going and push hard. You'll laugh, you'll sweat, you'll work hard, and in no time you'll be finished and feeling ready to face the world.
SUPERSET BUDDY PROGRAM
5 minute cardio warm up
Walking Lunges Seated Row
Dumbbell Bicep Curl Chest Press
Bench Tricep Dips Leg Press
Reverse Lunges Shoulder Press
5 minute cardio cool down
For beginners perform 2 sets of 10 reps, and for the more advanced trainer perform 3 sets of 15 reps.